Individuals who have been exposed to a communicable disease will be identified, notified and treated in accordance with the directives of the Public Health Department.
Meningitis policy (effective Aug. 1, 2005)
The University of Kansas-Lawrence Campus:
- Requires all students starting residence in Department of Student Housing residence halls, scholarship halls and Jayhawker Towers to receive the meningitis vaccination.
- Strongly recommends that students living in other forms of group housing such as sorority/fraternity houses, Naismith Hall, etc., receive the vaccination.
- Encourages all other students to consider vaccination.
- Encourages all students to become knowledgeable about meningitis and its symptoms in order to reduce their personal risk.
All students starting residence in university-owned group housing must either provide written documentation of immunization or sign a waiver to indicate they have been informed about the disease and vaccine and have chosen not to be immunized. Noncompliant students will be placed on administrative HOLD following the first week of classes and remain on administrative HOLD until the compliance is documented with Student Health Services.
We also encourage all KU students to consider getting the vaccine to reduce their risk.
Some measures are:
- Practice good personal hygiene by covering your mouth when sneezing and coughing.
- Wash hands frequently with soap.
- Do not share eating or drinking utensils.
- Maintain good general health by eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly, getting adequate rest and avoiding alcohol.
- Avoid inhaling cigarette smoke, because it increases susceptibility to infection.
- Know the symptoms of the disease and immediately see a physician if they should occur.
- Consider getting the meningococcal vaccine, especially if you are in group housing.
- Those who experience close-care contact may be advised to receive prophylactic antibiotics.