In the event of a power outage, many campus facilities are equipped with emergency generators to power critical operations. Most buildings are provided with emergency lighting to aid in the safe evacuation of the building. To report a localized power outage, contact Facilities Operations. After normal business hours, this number will be answered by the Public Safety Office.
- Keep a flashlight with spare batteries immediately accessible.
- Know how to locate the closest exit.
In the event of a large-scale power outage:
- Remain calm.
- Follow directions provided by Public Safety Office through the established campus communications systems. Check the university Web site or listen to local radio.
- If building evacuation becomes necessary, seek out people with special needs and provide assistance if possible. If additional assistance is necessary, contact Public Safety Office at 864-5900.
- Secure all vital equipment, records, experiments and hazardous materials if safe to do so. Store all chemicals in their original or marked containers and fully open all fume hoods. If this is not possible, or natural ventilation is not adequate, evacuate the area until power is restored.
- Do not light candles or other types of flames for lighting.
- Unplug electrical equipment, including computers, and turn off the light switches.
If people are trapped in an elevator:
- If you are able to communicate with them, let the passengers know help has been summoned.
- Call 911 or use the elevator phone, if available.
- Provide specific location information and number of individuals involved to the dispatcher.
- Stay near the passengers if safe to do so, until emergency responders are on site and the elevator is identified.