Immediately activate the building’s fire alarm system.
Evacuate the building unless otherwise notified.
If you discover a fire:
- Manually activate the building’s fire alarm system.
- Immediately evacuate the building, closing doors and windows behind you.
- DO NOT USE THE ELEVATORS.
- Locate people with special needs and provide assistance if possible. Otherwise, provide their location to emergency responders.
- Call 911.
Report to your department’s designated gathering point to be accounted for.
Once the fire alarm is activated:
- Walk quickly to the nearest exit. Do not use the elevators.
- If you are able, help those who need special assistance.
- Notify fire personnel if you think someone might still be in the building.
- Gather away from the building and emergency responders at a pre-designated location. DO NOT re-enter the building until the fire department has cleared the scene.
If caught in smoke:
- Do not breathe the smoke.
- Drop to your knees and crawl to the closest safe exit.
- Breathe through your nose and use a shirt or towel to breathe through, if possible.
If trapped in a building:
- Close all doors and windows.
- Wet and place cloth material around and under the door to prevent smoke from entering.
- Attempt to signal people outside of the building. Call for help using a telephone or cell phone.
USING A FIRE EXTINGUISHER:
- Report the fire first (call 911).
- Use a fire extinguisher only if you have been trained to do so. Improper use of an extinguisher can increase the hazard.
- If you have any doubt of your ability to fight the fire, exit immediately.
- If you decide to use a fire extinguisher, place yourself between the fire and your exit from the area.
- To use the fire extinguisher, follow the PASS method.
- P ull the pin. This will break the tamper seal if one is provided.
- A im low, pointing the extinguisher nozzle (or the horn or hose) at the base of the fire.
- S queeze the handle to release the extinguishing agent.
- S weep from side to side at the base of the fire until the fire is out. Watch the area.
- If the fire re-ignites, repeat the steps above.