If a bomb threat is received:
- Stay calm.
- If your phone has Caller ID, record the number displayed.
- Gain the attention of someone else nearby, point to this information and have that person call 911. This call should be made out of hearing range from the caller.
- Try to keep the caller on the phone long enough to complete the Bomb Threat Check Sheet located on the next page.
- Ask check-sheet questions.
- Work with arriving emergency personnel to assist them in evaluating the situation.
- Assist emergency responders with a search of the area if requested.
- Provide for an orderly evacuation only when ordered by emergency personnel. Bomb Threat Check Sheet is provided on the next page.
- If the threat is received via voicemail or e-mail, save and give to the police.
Bomb Threat Check Sheet
Exact time of call:
Exact words of caller:
Questions to ask:
- When is the bomb going to explode?
- Where is the bomb?
- What does it look like?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- What will cause it to explode?
- Did you place the bomb?
- Where are you calling from?
- What is your address?
- What is your name?
Caller’s voice: (circle)
If voice is familiar, whom did it sound like?
Were there any background noises?
Person receiving call:
Telephone number call received at:
Report call immediately to 911.